A Step by Step Guide to Submitting a Claim for your Home Contents Insurance
When something goes wrong resulting in you needing to submit a claim for your home contents insurance
, car insurance
or house owners insurance,
there are definite steps that need to be applied regarding any insurance claim. Home contents insurance claims
might at first seem like a daunting task,
but if the steps are taken one at a time, this onerous task will prove to be straightforward and simple.
First and foremost if you have fallen victim to a crime, you will need to ensure you have a case number from the police.
The police will pay the scene of the crime a visit; thereafter you will be issued with a police case number which is important as your insurance service provider will need the case number so that you can start the process of claiming for home contents insurance
Your insurance service provider will then:
- Send you a claim form to fill out.
- This form will have a section for your ID number, your home address, telephone number and any other relevant information.
- There is a section on your claim form where you will be able to describe the date, time and details of the incident.
- Furthermore you will be required to fill in the details of the items stolen or damaged – this will include serial numbers if the items are specified on your insurance schedule and have their own individual cover (cell phones, computers, hi-fi equipment and other expensive, itemised items), and other items that fall under the general insurance umbrella.
- I you have the empty boxes of the items, your insurance assessor will want to photograph these and any receipts for proof of purchase which could prove to be useful.
- Once you have filled out the insurance claim form and submitted this with the relevant date and the insured’s signature, the insurance service provider will be in touch with you to set a date so that the insurance assessor can make a definite time to interview you and take down any pertinent information necessary for your claim.
- Once satisfied, the insurance house will contact you regarding your claim and if all is approved your claim will be processed.
- The items that have been stolen will preferably be replaced with an identical item and if that is not possible a monetary amount will be paid out to replace the items as near as possible.
- If there is a cash payment for the goods, the money will be deposited into the bank account where the debit order will normally go off from every month.
- Take note there will usually be an excess payable to your insurance company when you claim.
When you submit your insurance claim there will admittedly always be plenty of admin involved, but at the end of the day, it is well worth your while to take time out to reassess and update your home contents insurance. Submitting your home contents insurance claim
does involve a certain process – find out from your insurance broker what happens when you put in your claim.